Nowadays, we are facing various physiological diseases. Depression is one of them. It affects us slowly and becomes heavier in our minds and distracts us from our daily activities. Teenagers are highly affected by this. Teenage Depression occurs at the age of 13 to 18 years.
Definition of Teenage Depression:
Teenage Depression is the intense sadness of feeling severe despondency, dejection, helpless, hopeless, worthless, guilty, irritability, restlessness etc which overloads one’s mind and lasts for many days. Teenage Depression is related to high levels of mental stress or anxiety of teenagers. Teenage Depression can lead a variety of emotional and physical problems which causes a loss of interest or pleasure in a person’s ability to function at work and at home.
What are the major causes of Teen Depression?
Nowadays teenagers are very affected by depression. Research says that teenage depression starts from the changes of puberty and they suffer mental stress to see physical changes and complexities in themselves.
- Traumatic life event: Loss of beloved persons or pet animals, divorce, remarriage, premature death of favorite one, any event like that causes distress or trauma can trigger teenage depression.
- Social situation/family circumstances: Domestic violence, substance abuse, poverty or other can cause teenage depression.
- Genetics/biology: Depression in genealogy also causes teenage depression.
- Medical condition: Hypothyroidism, PMS(premenstrual syndrome) or other disorders cause teenage depression.
- Illegal drugs: Street drugs or some kinds of drugs which have negative side effects are another cause of teenage depression.
What are the symptoms of Teenage Depression?
Sadness or hopelessness.
Anger, hostility, irritability.
Tearfulness or frequent crying.
Loss of interest in activities.
Poor school performance.
Withdrawal from friends and family.
Lack of enthusiasm and motivation.
Restlessness and agitation.
Fatigue or lack of energy.
Changes in eating and sleeping habits.
Unexplained aches and pains.
Thoughts of death or suicide.
How would you identify suicide warning signs of your teens from excessive Teenage depression?
- Sometimes teenagers make attempts to commit suicide from the stress of depression, especially who are drug addicted or abandoned or sexually abused.
- They talk or joke about committing suicide. Their thoughts of disappearing themselves forever or saying things like “I wish I0 could better off dead”.They write stories and poems about death, dying or suicide.
- Searching out weapons, pills to kill themselves.
- They say Goodbye to friends and family for the last time.
If you suspect that your teens are affected by depression you should bring up your concerns in a loving and friendly and non-judgment way so that your teens can feel free to share their problems to you and to overcome from this stress.
How to get over Teen Depression as a teenager:
- Identify symptoms of depression.
- Consider possible causes.
- Ask for help.
- Seek immediate help for suicidal thoughts.
- Get help for bullying.
- Talk to someone if you are thinking of running away.
- Find a support group.
- Make socializing priority.
- Think positive thought.
Parents should validate their feelings. They can support their teens by talking therapies, medication, lifestyle changing to get over this disease.
The best way to support teenagers is by making effective communication and positive and constructive conversations with them. Elders and close friends also can help them to overcome this type of mental anxiety by supporting as well as proper guiding.